Wednesday, March 13, 2013

When you drink Absolut straight it burns. Enough to give my chest hairs a perm.

I typed about a few words about my current state of affairs, the text in blockquotes below, back in February. It’s been sitting around on my laptop since then. It seems that I should make an effort to share the fruits of my labor, as it were, with the masses.

I've been thinking that I am ready to write a little more on this blog. Or, at least make an honest effort of doing so. For a while now, the better part of two years actually, I have engaged in conversation with like minding folks in similar circumstances at ITLSS. That satisfied any need I had to blow off steam or bitch about things. Now that Campos has reached the end of that blog's useful life and shuttered the enterprise, I'm realizing I can channel such energies here.

And, yeah, I'm pretty much comparing this to therapy.

I think it’s time I share a little something: I’m not really as angry as I seem on the pages of this website. I write here, in this manner, to channel my frustrations somewhere other than my liver (i.e., guzzling liquor). I have come to accept the fact that I’ve pretty much fucked myself by going to law school. Now I’m just trying to deal with it.

About that bit I wrote out last month:
I’m doing a monthly budget today. I haven’t engaged in this exercise since I was my third year of law school. We moved last fall, and it took a few months to sort out what our utilities were going to run, how much day care we needed, and what our transportation costs were going to be.

Well, now I know. The numbers are not surprising. But, they are grim. A lot of it centers upon my current under-employed status.

As in, things would be better if I made more money.
Who knew working two part-time jobs wasn’t the same as one full-time one. (I’m kidding.) I will probably write out something in more detail about my finances in the near future. Why not, right? It would be better than lying awake at night, starting at the ceiling in the dark, and wondering just how in the hell I'm going to extricate myself from this predicament. And, truth be told, I've been doing a fair share of that lately. And it is not fun. My life has gone pear shaped. 

I started applying for non-legal jobs last month. I graduated in May of 2011. I made it to February of 2013 before I realized I need to expand my horizons and broaden the employment search. The response thus far has been typical - I haven't gotten any responses.

Hey, but a J.D. is so versatile. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. It takes time to come to terms with the grimness of the situation, yet have the energy to cast your nets further and wider. I've fallen in and out of the process over the years (I'm either good at being grim, or good at casting nets, not both). I've found that change is slow and incremental, when it comes.

    Nothing the cock****ing Deans ever have had to worry about, of course. Too busy counting the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perm? Kind of reminds me of Bob Hope at the bar in "Son of Paleface."

    Bartender: Here's a drink that'll put hair on your chest.

    Hope: I've GOT hair on my chest. Gimme something that'll part it down the middle!

    ReplyDelete