Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Once there was a snowflake...

I am not a special snowflake.

I did not believe I was a special, or different, or that I would beat the odds. Rather, I thought I was average. I went in expecting to be average. I graduated in the middle of my class. Seriously. I was two people south of dead center. You could not be more average than I was. 

Here is the problem: I thought the outcomes for an average student were a whole lot better than they actually were.

Why did I think that? Well, I relied upon the facts presented to me by the law school. 

It was a bunch of lies.

I know that now. But, I didn't know it then. And now it is too late to unwind. I've bought my ticket. Now, I must take the ride.

I was not a special snowflake. I just thought I was like all the other snowflakes. '

I was right about that part. Because, all the snowflakes got burned in the end.

The only folks I've heard about in my graduating class that have done well for themselves had a job lined up prior to school, or the work for a family member. In some instances, it is both. The majority of people I've talked to are just buried in debt and not making enough money to manage.

That's the reality. That is what is really happening out there.

3 comments:

  1. In the end, family, business and political connections are much better than strong grades. If you come from a well-off family, then you can smoke pot, drink every night and screw around in law school - while everyone else busts their ass studying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the truth. A guy in my class was going to work for Daddy's firm - he hardly went to class, had all the hand-me-down outlines for every course (replete with post-it arrows) and had the drinking and partying reputation. I clerked a bit for the guy's dad, and the dad (as a lawyer) was a very cool guy. He was just trying to help his kid out, and I understand that.

      Maybe my classmate hated his life. But I would rather hate my life and be coddled with advantages all the way through, rather than hate my life and...hate my life with no advantages, busting my ass. The former is certainly preferable.

      Delete
  2. Of all the folks I've talked to (or heard about indirectly) from my graduating class, which is coming up on two years this May, the only new attorneys whom nailed down a good gig had the job before they even applied to law school. In short, if you can work for your father, more power to ya.

    Every other person, every single one, is struggling.

    ReplyDelete