Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Another page in the life of Crux

Hello all.

2016 brought a new opportunity for Crux (that's another way to say I decided to leave the firm I was with). Two years ticked by and it was time to find something new. I felt like I was going nowhere in that office. It was not going to change if I stayed on another year or ten. I'm not one to sit still. I am always hungry.

I have been lucky. I was approached by my new employer out of the blue. In fact, I was also approached by my last employer. Neither had listed an open position or solicited applications. Someone reached out to me in both instances. Apparently I'm building a name for myself.

Or, these guys are totally desperate.

New gig. Same as the old gig. Sort of. A different area of law. Again. Steep learning curve. Again. Seriously lowered my income with the switch. Again. Good times.

This is a familiar pattern for me. Do something for awhile, learn all about it, make a few bucks, find something new that looks like a good fit, put in notice to employer and clients, tie up the loose ends, pack up the books off shelf and move into a new office on a Saturday afternoon.

I've really nothing to add to this blog other than to say I'm still out there hustling. It's the only thing I know how to do.

I speak to a few of my classmates now and again. We graduated five years ago this month. I seem to be doing better than a lot of them.

I don't know what that says about me or about them.

Well, actually, I do. We all do. I'm not on IBR.

I looked over some records I kept regarding finances, debts and budgeting. I've made huge strides in the past five years. Things are actually pretty damn good at the moment, all things considered. It feels very good to look back over the last five years and see something positive.

Am I glad I went to law school and became an attorney? Yes. Most days, yes. Do I regret it? No, not really. I did like a lot of the clients, opposing parties, and counsel I dealt at my last job. Others I did not like so much. I expect this area of law to be, well, at least tolerable if not rewarding. It seems too optimistic, perhaps naive, to believe any area of law is rewarding. We'll see how it goes.

Best of luck to you all.

8 comments:

  1. Do you drink coffee much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell just by your writing style that you are a nervous wreck full of anxiety. It can't be good for your health. I hope you find peace. It will help your career and family life. You can start by picking up a Bible and believing in Jesus Christ.

      Delete
    2. You make an interesting point regarding writing style. Honestly, the style was intentional; I used simple, relaxed prose comprised of dots and dashes, and rapid-fire staccato pacing. Or, I like to think that I did.

      It's a blog, not an appellate brief. I do enough "formal" writing already.

      I honestly don't know what to do with this blog or this fellow named crux. He was angry, confused, and yes, anxious. The future was uncertain. His contemporaries were all struggling. This blog became an outlet for that, for crux, to sing. I'll not hold crux up to the the destructive wrath of Achilles, but you get the idea.

      I try to report on progress from time to time, as much for personal reflection as to the apprise those who have followed this blog. Perhaps the time of crux has passed?

      Delete
    3. I should note here that I do not follow my own blog, and I do not respond to comments in a timely fashion. In fact, it is common for a month or two to pass before I think to look at this website.

      Best of luck to you all.

      Delete
  2. What a great and thriving "profession"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete