Tuesday, September 4, 2012

An update is in order

I guess I can call myself an attorney now. I don't, very often. But, I can.

Strange phrase, isn't it:

"Attorney."

I haven't referred to myself as an "attorney" but two or three times.

And only when someone asks me, "So, what do you do?"

I say, "I'm an attorney."

And, then we talk about the weather or some shit. It's such a stumbling block. It just derails the conversation.

I have some friends from law school who use "Esq." now, in their communications, signatures, and so forth. It seems clumsy to me. So, I don't do it.

I don't know if I can say it's all that great being an attorney. I'm not surprised by the work, really. I guess I just thought my experience would be a little different than it has been. Law school was something to endure, the bar exam something to simply pass.

For what it's worth, I can knock the following off my list: (1) graduate from an accredited law school, (2) pass the bar exam, (3) get paid to do the type of work only a licensed attorney may do. Done, done, and done.

And what a long, strange trip it's been.

OK, all jokes aside. Here is where I'm at now. I am working, basically part-time, doing contract work for two different attorneys. Both of these men I knew prior to law school. And, I suppose I should also point out, both of these men have been practicing law for years and are throwing me table scraps.

The upside is I am covering my expenses, spending time with my family, and getting paid actual money to do legal work. I have current employment to list on my resume. And I have professional references that are not either law professors or people I worked for before I went to law school.

The downside is I'm pretty much working out of my house or a public library. All I require is a power source and an internet connection. The house is fine with me. It's flexible, the 'fridge is mere steps away, and I can walk around in my pajamas all day if I want to. The library is OK, but I have to actually get dressed and shave in the morning. Well, at least dressed. I'm typing this from a table in the library. I have a file in front of me which contains a police report and a bunch of other docs. I'm doing a motion to suppress, illegal search and seizure basically.

You know what occurred to me this morning that prompted this entry? Law school teaches nothing about the actual practice of law.

I know, preaching to the choir. You've all heard it already.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats. Plus, your story illustrates that those who do find legal work often do so on their own leads and hard work. Law school didn't teach you how to hustle, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting my grind on. Hustle is as hustle does.

    ReplyDelete